Sep 7, 2011

Uncommon Uses for 2 Vey Common Household Items

We all probably have eggs and baking soda around the house. Well.... now there's one more reason to love each of these things more than you already do.


A few days ago, I got an email from my cousin about how egg whites are great for treating burns. I decided to commit that one to memory and use it at a later date. Well, it didn't take long.... I'm not exactly known for my cooking skills, but regardless, I try. Just last night, I burned my finger pretty good with hot olive oil. I rinsed the area with cold water, to stop the burning. Then I took an egg, separated it, poured the egg white into a shot glass and soaked my finger in it for about 2 minutes.

The egg white formed a cast-like shell around my finger and, almost instantly, my finger started to feel better. I left it on there for about 2 hours before finally washing it off. It healed the burn and kept the pain at bay for the rest of the evening.

Now, if you don't know me, you may think I'm making this up for the sake of writing this blog entry as one instead of two. But alas, no, I am just this clumsy.

The weather has been so nice that I went outside to do some yard work. I still don't know how it happened, but I wound up with a nice sized splinter in my finger (same hand as the burn... yay me.) The splinter was lodged so deep inside of my finger that getting it out with tweezers wasn't an option. I had read awhile back about using baking soda to help bring the splinter to the surface of the skin, so I decided to try it.

I mixed a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with a small bit of water to form a paste. I put the paste over the splinter and put a Band-Aid around it. I left the Band-Aid there overnight and this morning the splinter had dislodged itself and was poking out just enough to just pluck it out with tweezers. Simple and painless.

So there you go.... egg whites and baking soda. Who knew?

No comments: